Whole School Evaluation – follow through inspection.
On 12th June 2019 we had a follow through inspection to evaluate the progress made by the school on the recommendations of the WSE Report in 2017. The findings of this inspection are very positive, affirming and commending the work being done in the school. The report will be published shortly on www.education/publications/inspection-Report-Publications/Follow through-Inspections/
Board of Management
The term of the current Board ends on 30th November 2019. Therefore we will be looking for parent nominees, 1 father and 1 mother, to form our new board. An invitation will issue shortly to all parents in the school to put themselves forward for nomination and election to the Board. I wish to take this opportunity to thank Jeanette Seymour and Adrian McIntyre for their valuable contribution to the Board since December 2015.
Congratulations to our athletes who competed in the Schools Cross Country Championships. There were some great individual performances with 6 medal winners and also great team performances with 5th & 6th class boys winning silver. Well done to Diarmuid Maloney on his outstanding achievement coming 1st in the 5th & 6th class boys’ race. Thanks to Mrs. Maloney and Maria who travelled with the athletes on the day.
Dromineer Literacy Festival
Congratulations to Claudia Kucharska 5th , Hannah Quirke 4th & Kyarra Ford in 3rd class who were highly commended for their entries in the Festival this year. Well done to all the entrants who submitted some lovely poems.
Our U13 girls’ team played the Gaelscoil and Holycross recently in their competition and the boys are preparing for their matches against Nenagh C.B.S. and the Gaelscoil.
Visit from the Tipperary All Ireland winning Teams:
We are delighted to welcome members of this year’s senior and u20 hurling panels with the cups to our school on Tuesday October 8th around midday. Parents are more than welcome to join us for the celebrations.
Music with Ned:
3rd, 4th 5th and 6th class will have lessons with Ned on Wednesdays during school times. We are grateful to our Parents Group for covering the cost of these lessons.
There will be a Book Fair in the school from the 7th – 14th Nov. More details to follow.
Parents Group A.G.M.
The A.G.M. of our Parents Group will take place in the School Hall on Tuesday 15th Oct. at 8.00p.m.
Parent Teacher Meetings
Parent Teacher meetings will be held on Wed. 20th Nov. & Thurs. 21st Nov. School will finish @ 1.30 p.m. on 20th Nov. for all pupils. Normal times apply on Thurs. 21st. Class teachers will communicate appointment times early in November.
County Photos will visit the school on 23rd Oct. Full uniform to be worn on the day please. The photographer usually takes photos of all the children in the school on the day but there is no pressure on parents to purchase the photographs. If you would prefer your child not to be photographed please inform the class teacher in advance.
Nut Free Zone:
Please refrain from sending nuts or food containing nuts in to school as we have children with nut allergies.
Please be vigilant and keep checking.
From Mon 7th Oct the summer option (wearing shorts) is no longer an option!
Health & Safety
A reminder not to drop your child to school before 8.40 a.m. as there is no supervision before this time.
School will be closed on Monday December 2nd for staff training in the primary language curriculum.
Welcome to a new school year in Carrig N.S. We extend a special welcome to our Junior Infants, who are beginning their journey in primary school. A warm welcome also, to the pupils who have joined us in other classes.
We hope the coming year will be a safe, happy and productive one for everyone.
To mark the beginning of the new school year we will have mass on Friday September 13th at 10.00a.m.
Staff/Class allocation for the coming year is as follows:
Junior Infants – Ms. Laura Boland
Junior Infants – Mr. Gary Prout
Senior Infants – Ms. Aisling Horrigan
1st class – Mrs. Caroline Murray
2nd class – Ms. Deirdre Talbot/Ms. Gillian Laffan
3rd class – Ms. Eimear Duignan/Ms. Freda Grace
4th class – Ms. Laura Bergin
5th class – Ms. Eithne Darcy
6th class – Ms. Maeve Maloney
Special Education Teachers:
-Mrs. Perry Maloney
-Ms. Kathleen Burke
-Mrs. Máire Comer
-Ms. Orla Byrne
-Mrs. Mary Delaney
-Ms. Lorraine Talbot
Special Needs Assistants:
– Patricia Powell
– Maura Connors
Secretary – Julia Murphy
Caretaker – Willie Connors
Please take note of the following information which I hope will help you and your child settle into a new academic year. As always we are totally dependent on your co-operation.
• School hours are from 8.50a.m. – 14.30 p.m. Supervision will be in place from 8.40a.m. Please note that Board of Management and staff are not responsible for the supervision and safety children outside of these times. Teachers who are on site prior to 8.40a.m. are preparing their own work for the day and are not there in a supervisory capacity.
• Attendance: If your child is absent, a note must be given to Class Teacher explaining the reason for the absence. Please do not ring the school to explain an absence as a written record is required. We are obliged to report children who are absent for 20 days or more in the school year. However we do stress that if your child is sick please keep him / her at home If you are collecting your child from school during the day please sign the sheet at the
• School Uniform: Each class teacher will inform you of your child’s P.E. days when they should wear their tracksuits. On other days we would appreciate it if your child comes to school in the correct uniform. Please ensure crests are worn on school jumpers. School ties and crests are available from the office. Crests – €5 / Ties – €5
We strongly recommend that you label your child’s uniform, tracksuit and other belongings.
• Healthy Eating Policy- Please help us promote healthy eating by not permitting your child to bring bars, fizzy drinks, crisps, chewing gum, etc. for lunch.
• Homework: Please support your child in completing both oral and written homework.
• Office – Julia is in the office from 12.15p.m. each day. Outside of these times if you wish to contact the school, please contact (086)3822424 as the landline may be unattended. Likewise if you wish to gain access to the building and the buzzer is not answered please ring the mobile no.
To minimize disruptions to class during teaching time please ensure your child comes to
school with all the requirements for the day e.g. lunches, gear etc.
• Head lice – Please check your child’s hair regularly for head lice and treat accordingly.
• School Policies: Our school policies can be viewed on the school website –www.carrigschool.ie or alternatively hard copies are available from the office.
• Communication between school and home: If you wish to meet with myself or a teacher to discuss any issues please ring the school to make an appointment. Formal Parent/teacher meetings will take place in November.
• Each month a newsletter will be published on the school website. Activities and events which take place during the year in each class may also be viewed on the website, so please visit http://www.carrigschool.ie on a regular basis. If you require a hard copy of the newsletter please let us know. If information needs to be communicated at short notice you will receive a text message and also we may contact you from time to time by email. Please note that one text per family is sent to the mobile no. nominated by you on your child’s registration form. If that number has changed or your family circumstances have changed and you need both parents to receive a text, please let us know.
• Contact Details: Please inform the school if your contact details have changed over the summer.
• Music with Ned from 3rd to 6th class will commence in the coming weeks.
Children in 5th and 6th class who may not be interested in playing an instrument may opt
out of the lessons with Ned, and will be engaged in different activities with their class
• Swimming lessons will commence shortly, a note from Parents’ Group with details to follow.
One Way System
Traffic should approach the school from Ballycommon and leave in the direction of Dromineer morning and evening so that cars do not have to turn in front of the school.
Please convey this one way system and the following to any person who is collecting your child:
• Approach and leave school at a reasonable speed.
• To avoid traffic congestion please drive away promptly once your child has arrived safely in school.
• Expect the unexpected.
• Please leave the gate to the church grounds clear at all times.
• We would encourage parents with older children to pull in at the footpath on the way up to the school and to let children out on the footpath. Also in the evening the older children, with your permission, may walk down the footpath to be collected further away from the school. Please do not arrange to meet your child in the church grounds as this can be very busy with traffic.
• Please leave access to the disabled parking bay at all times.
After School Activities
Please contact the provider of the activity directly to book a place for your child. Also, all fees will have to be paid directly to that person and must not be sent in to the class teacher or the office.