Dates for your Diary
• Wednesday June 5th – 1st, 2nd, 3rd school tour
• Friday June 7th – New Junior infants and their parents coming in
• Friday June 7th – Sailing 5th and 6th
• Active schools week – June 10th to 17th
• Monday June 10th – U13 North Final @12.30p.m. in Puckane
• Tuesday June 11th – Juniors, 4th , 5th and 6th school tours
• Thursday June 13th – Sports day from 10.30a.m. to 1.30p.m.
• Friday June 14th – Sailing 5th and 6th
• Friday 21st – End of year mass @10.30a.m. School closing for the summer holidays @12.00 midday.
Congratulations to the children in 2nd and 6th class who received the sacrament of First Holy Communion and Confirmation recently. A sincere thank you to everybody who helped to make these occasions so special for the children and their families.
Green Flag award
Congratulations to Ms. Laffan and the Green schools committee whose hard work has paid off with the awarding of our 3rd Green flag on the water theme. On May 29th Aisling Keller, a past pupil of our school, came to raise the Green Flag. Aisling has a special connection to water as she is a world champion sailor and it is her ambition to represent Ireland at the Olympic Games. Aisling is an inspiration to our young people and we wish her every success following her dreams.
Waltons Music for Schools competition
Our music group travelled to the National Concert Hall on May 7th and won 2nd prize in this competition. This is a fantastic achievement for this group and a just reward for their hard work. This is a very talented group and Ms. Boland has done amazing work with them. Well done to all involved.
Our u13 hurlers face Corville N.S. in the North final on Monday June 10th @ 12.30p.m. in Puckane. Please come and support the team who have trained very hard with Mr. Prout this year.
Our u13 team played four matches in the championship this year. The girls gave a great account of themselves winning two matches. Ms. Maloney put a lot of work into training the girls, so it would be a fitting tribute to her if our 6th class girls go on to play with their secondary school and indeed continue to play with their club.
Meanwhile the girls in 5th and 4th class were invited to a blitz in Nenagh organised by Mr. Mullarkey and the transition years in St. Mary’s secondary school. This was a very enjoyable sporting occasion for the girls and we hope it will become an annual event.
Our u13 boys and girls teams qualified for the county finals this year. Both teams were very competitive in their matches and were unlucky not to bring home some silverware. A sincere thanks to Ms. Darcy for her coaching and management of the teams.
Our school was represented in the Munster schools Competition this year by Katie Lynch, Cara McSherry, Maeve Kennedy and Ava Seymour. The girls travelled to Cork to compete in the Shield final and represented the school with pride. Well done girls.
The credit union tennis competition takes place on June 12th this year. The girls’ team and the boys’ team of Dara O’Dwyer, James Shesgreen, Rory Gavin and Matt McSherry will be participating in this competition.
Active Schools Week
Every week Carrig N.S. is an active school! However, the designated week for extra activities is Monday the 10th to Friday the 14th. There will be visiting coaches with activities on water safety, orienteering, and athletics etc. Sports day takes place on the 13th with activities from 10.30a.m to 1.30p.m. weather permitting
Parents Group News
Please come and support our 5k,10k run/walk on Sunday June 9th. Registration takes place in the school at 10.40a.m. and the run/walk commences at 11.30a.m. I wish to take this opportunity to thank our Parents Group for their fundraising activities. Funds raised are used to provide equipment and activities for the children. Recently we have purchased playground toys, indoor games and educational equipment. In the next academic year, the funds will be used to provide music, yoga and sailing free of charge to the children. The Parents Group will also be contributing to the cost of buses which is currently a huge financial burden on the Board of Management.
Welcome back to our final term. I hope everyone is well rested after the Easter holidays as we have a very busy term ahead!
Upcoming Events -Term 3
- Tuesday April 30th U13 camogie blitz in Templemore
- Wednesday May 1st– Girls soccer co. finals
- Thursday May 2nd – 6th class retreat to Roscrea
- Tuesday May 7th – Carrig Music group travel to the National Concert Hall.
- Wednesday 8th– Boys soccer finals
- Friday 10th– sailing for 5th and 6th class
- Friday May 17th– Confirmation
- Monday May 20th u11 camogie blitz in Nenagh
- Friday 24th- Sailing for 5th and 6th
- Saturday 25th First Holy communion.
- Monday 27th– Primary language training day-no classes
- Tuesday 28th– Junior infants -vision and hearing screening
- Friday May 31st – Senior infants school tour/ sailing for 5th and 6th class
- Wednesday June 5th– 1st,2nd,3rd school tour
- Friday June 7th– New Juniors coffee morning/sailing 5th and 6th
- Tuesday June 11th-Juniors,4th, 5th and 6th school tours
- Thursday June 13th -Sports day
- Friday 21st – End of year mass @10.30am