Congratulations to our athletes who competed in the Schools Cross Country Championships recently. There were some great individual performances with 7 medal winners and also great team performances with 5th & 6th Class boys’ team and 3rd & 4th Class girls’ team winning silver. Well done to all the children who took part in the trials at school and thanks to Mr. Prout & Mrs. Maloney who accompanied the children on the day.
Dromineer Literacy Festival
Congratulations to Diarmaid Fogarty 5th Class who was highly commended for his poem “The Magic Portal”. Well done to all the entrants for the lovely poems they submitted.
Please be vigilant and keep checking your child’s hair regularly.
Please encourage your child to organise their own requirements for the school day; school bag, lunch, homework etc. It is a life skill that will serve them well in the future.
Our Under 13 girls participated in a blitz recently. No wins were recorded on the day but they played well and represented the school with pride.
Our Under 13 boys team are preparing for their first match against Ballina.
Welcome to a new school year in Carrig N.S. We extend a special welcome to our Junior Infants, who are beginning their journey in primary school. A warm welcome also to the pupils who have joined us in other classes.
We hope the coming year will be a safe, happy and productive one for everyone.
To mark the beginning of the new school year we will have mass on Friday September 7th at 10.00a.m.
Staff/Class allocation for the coming year is as follows :
Junior Infants – Ms. Laura Boland
Senior Infants – Ms. Aisling Horrigan
1st class – Mrs. Caroline Murray
1st class – Mr. Gary Prout
2nd class – Ms. Orla Byrne/Ms. Deirdre Talbot
3rd class – Ms. Eimear Duignan/Ms. Freda Grace
4th class – Ms. Laura Bergin
5th class – Ms Eithne Darcy
6th class – Ms. Maeve Maloney
Special Education Teachers:
Mrs. Perry Maloney
Ms. Kathleen Burke
Mrs. Máire Comer
Ms. Gillian Laffan
Ms. Patrice Murray
Special Needs Assistants: Patricia Powell & Maura Connors
Secretary: Julia Murphy
Caretaker: Willie Connors
Please take note of the following information which I hope will help you and your child settle into a new academic year. As always we are totally dependent on your co-operation.
- School hours are from 8.50a.m. – 14.30 p.m. Supervision will be in place from 8.40a.m. onwards. Please note that Board of Management and staff are not responsible for the supervision and safety children outside of these times.
- If your child is absent a day/days a note must be given to Class Teacher explaining the reason for the absence. Please do not ring the school to explain an absence as a written record is required. We are obliged to report children who are absent for 20 days or more in the school year. However we do stress that if your child is sick please keep him/her at home.
- School Uniform: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Tracksuits: Thursday, Friday. Please ensure crests are worn on school jumpers. School ties and crests are available from the office. Crests – €8 / Ties – €5.
- We strongly recommend that you label your children’s uniforms, tracksuits and other belongings.
- Healthy Eating Policy- Please help us promote healthy eating by not permitting your child to bring bars, fizzy drinks, crisps, chewing gum, etc. for lunch
- Office -If you wish to meet with myself or a class teacher to discuss any issues please ring the school to make an appointment. Julia is in the office from 12.15p.m. each day.
- To minimize disruptions to class during teaching time please ensure your child comes to school with all the requirements for the day e.g. lunches, gear etc.
- If you are collecting your child from school during the day please sign the sheet at the Office.
- Head lice – Please check your child’s hair regularly for head lice and treat accordingly.
TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PLAN
One Way System
Traffic should approach the school from Ballycommon and leave in the direction of Dromineer morning and evening so that cars do not have to turn in front of the school.
Please convey this one way system and the following to any person who is collecting your child.
- Approach and leave school at reasonable speed.
- To avoid traffic congestion please drive away promptly once your child has arrived safely in school.
- Expect the unexpected.
- Children are not to be left running around outside the wall of the school unattended. Once your child leaves the school grounds he/she must be seated in a vehicle. If you need to speak to another parent or come into the school please ensure your child is seated in the car or remains inside the school gate.
- Please leave the gate to the church grounds clear at all times.
- We would encourage parents with older children to pull in at the footpath on the way up to the school and to let children out on the footpath. Also in the evening the older children, with your permission, may walk down the footpath to be collected further away from the school. Please do not arrange to meet your child in the church grounds as this can be very busy with traffic.
- Please leave access to the disabled parking bay at all times.
School Policies: Our school policies can be viewed on the school website www.carrigschool.ie or alternatively hard copies are available from the office.
Communication between school and home: Each month a newsletter will be published on the school website. Activities and events which take place during the year in each class may also be viewed on the website, so please visit www.carrigschool.ie on a regular basis. If you require a hard copy of the newsletter please let us know. If information needs to be communicated at short notice you will receive a text message and also we may contact you from time to time by email. Please note that one text per family is sent to the mobile no. nominated by you on your child’s registration form. If that number has changed or your family circumstances have changed and you need both parents to receive a text, please let us know.
Contact Details: Please inform the school if your contact details have changed over the summer.
This year we welcome Bríd Hackett to the school for a term of camogie training sessions. This is under an initiative by the Tipperary Camogie Board to promote camogie within the county and encourage young girls to join their local club. Bríd will be taking 2nd class starting on Monday, September 3rd.
3rd to 6th class will be hurling with Patsy on Thursdays and Mr. Prout will be taking training at lunchtime Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Music with Ned from 3rd to 6th class commences on Wednesday, 12th September.
Children in 5th and 6th class who may not be interested in playing an instrument may opt out of the lessons with Ned, and will be engaged in different activities with their class teachers.
Dancing with Claire for Junior Infants to 2nd class will take place during the school day this year with lessons commencing on Thursday, August 6th. Please note that the cost of these activities is covered by our Parents’ group so we urge you to support our fundraising activities during the coming year to help cover these costs.
Swimming lessons will commence shortly. A note from Parents’ Group with details to follow.